Doug Kanter

Default Boat Steering (tiller vs wheel)

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message

Another issue is that there is more weight at the rear with a tiller steer
boat. Yes, another 200# in the rear? You.

.....and that's a serious issue. I have the most basic 14' Lund, and I
haven't figured out how to fasten the battery into the bow area ahead of the
first bench (not a flat floor). So, it's in the back with me and the gas
tank. If I'm alone, I'll sometimes stick a large ice chest up forward,
filled to the top with ice, just for the weight. Just once, the wind caught
the front of the boat as I topped a wave. Very interesting experience. I
managed to move my weight forward just enough, and very fast, to push the
thing down again. I don't think I could've done this with a 17' Lund. Even
the most basic models in that size are quite a bit heavier than mine.