Doug Dotson

Default Parallelling fuel pumps

Hi Steve,

I'd just return that pump and get one that will do better. I thought that
installing check valves as you suggest might be a good idea.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Steve" wrote in message

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Is it possible/advisable to place 2 WALBRO fuel pumps
in parallel without any valves? My goal is to be able
to switch between pumps by just applying power to one
or the other without having to adjust valves.

I'm not familiar with the WALBRO pumps, but I would assume that they are
positive displacement pumps and therefore would have valves that would act
as check valves.

However, I would recommend inline check valves in the discharge of each to
keep the service pressure off these valves and the pump chamber. No sense
subjecting the idle pump to service pressure if unnecassary.

I'm preparing to install a lift pump in series with my engine pump to

assist
in priming both the engine and the generator after I change filters.
Unfortunately the pump I purchased (AC) can only lift 1 ft., according to
the specs. Tha't ridiculous IMHO... My tanks are all down in the keels and
the lift for my service/day tank would be about 30 inches when the tank is
low. Sorry, didn't mean to bring my problems into your post.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions