Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default how necessary is a windlass

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:41:48 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:35:15 -0700, Jessica B
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 06:30:16 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:18:02 -0700, Jessica B
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:59:07 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

chop

I can't imagine that having a good boat and proceeding at as fast as
possible to avoid bad weather would somehow be more dangerous.

Sorry, but I just don't understand the logic.

Nor do I think that you have done much sailing.

If you are going someplace you set forth using all the sails that the
wind will allow. As time passes you alter that sail spread as the
winds allow. It is not really a matter of going as fast as YOU want to
go, rather going as fast as you CAN go.

Cheers,

Bruce

I absolutely have not done much sailing. What point are you trying to
make? Have I ever claimed that I was some experienced sailor?

We're still talking about averages. I don't think anyone thinks a
sailboat speed would be constant.

You are really obtuse. Deliberately so?

You say: "I can't imagine that having a good boat and proceeding at as
fast as possible to avoid bad weather would somehow be more
dangerous."

and I'm simply saying that it is not a matter of going as fast or slow
as possible. It is a matter of how hard the wind blows that governs
things, something far outside the control of the boat and those in it.

Cheers,

Bruce

I think you're deliberately twisting the meaning of what I was trying
to say. I never said it was "simply" a matter of faster. I said it was
a better idea!

Well of course it depends on the wind, tides, etc. What does that have
to do with anything???

Of course it depends on the winds, tides, etc. Which is the point I've
been trying to convince you of.

But what does that have to do with anything? Quite simply everything,
as the winds and tides are what are causing you to move, assuming a
sailboat, or course.

Cheers,

Bruce

Like I said, I think you're twisting the meaning of what I said. It's
like suddenly it's a revelation that it's not just a matter of going
as fast as possible. Well, duhhh... this is your claim to expert
knowledge???