Default how necessary is a windlass

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:25:02 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:33:41 -0700, Jessica B
wrote:

snip

Sorry for the confusion. I believe I also said somewhere that if there
was a window of 10 days, and you had the choice of being on a boat
that could easily do it in 7 vs 10, it would be safer to go on the
faster boat.

Your illustration is flawed, or at least not applicable to anyone with
a modicum of sense.

To use your example: A storm is coming, estimated to arrive in 10
days. to use my estimate that it will take you 7 days to reach
harbour. as I said, your estimate can be off by large factors due to
unforeseen reasons.

But it is immaterial anyway. Weather estimates are seldom perfectly
accurate and if you talk about weather severe enough to be of danger
no one sets out for a voyage knowing that he will encounter really bad
weather if he can't maintain his planned speed.

Good grief, just when I thought you couldn't possible get any more thick,
you do it.

Wilbur Hubbard

Yet another example of the amazing ignorance of the Armchair Sailor.
Or do you deliberately sail off into the typhoon?

(Well, perhaps you might.... if you ever sailed at all)

PKB! Talk about ignorance . . .

Poor Bruce is so sadly lacking in sailing knowledge. Why do I say this at
this point? It is because of his using the word "typhoon" out of context.
Doesn't he know that no typhoons occur other than in the Western Pacific and
Indian Oceans? Most certainly there are no typhoons in the western Atlantic
or the Caribbean Sea/Gulf of Mexico where I sail.

Wilbur Hubbard