Default how necessary is a windlass

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:52:01 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:22:35 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:23:55 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
news:jsgio6l88tv5vm0u3gjqs4o32lm68rdrco@4ax. com...
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:25:41 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
snippage

I've seen way more sailors who use their engine as a crutch in lieu
of
learning how to handle their boat under sail. I've even had some of
the
Rubes in this very group try to say it's irresponsible to anchor
under
sail
if there are other boats anchored. They say such nonsense because
they
never
learned how to anchor under sail and if they tried they would most
likely
ram somebody. If they weren't so inept or inexperienced they would
discover
that a sailboat has better steering functionality under a balanced
sailplan
than under engine power alone.

I'd imagine that if the sailor is experienced in anchoring when
sailing that it wouldn't matter if there were rocks or other boats
around. I don't think I could do it, but ....

You could do it, Jessica, once you familiarized yourself with the
characteristics and handling of your sailboat, the ground tackle,
bottom
conditions and wind/current. Like anything else it just takes some
experience and some understanding of how things work. With your
analytical
mind, you'd be anchoring under sail with the best of them in no time.
It's
more about finesse than muscle. Even a big strong man simply cannot
muscle
four-ton sailboat into place. On the contrary, one must know what the
boat
is going to do and let the boat do it in the direction and velocity
one
desires. A sailboat is like a woman. You gotta let her do what she
wants
but
you have to know what she wants to do and then everything goes as
expected.

I hope we're going to get a lesson! I'm up for it if you have a pair
of gloves I can use.

I do. They might be a little large but they'll work. You'll like my
ground
tackle. The anchors aren't too big and they aren't all rusty and the
length
of chain is nice polished stainless steel. I get those gloves with the
little rubber dots on the palm side for better grip as the stainless
steel
tends to be slippery when wet. I'll be sure to have an extra pair or two
at
the ready for you ladies.

I've gotta get to the gym. Then, I'll email you more, but let me know
you got the last one!!

Work on the abs and biceps. You probably already have the legs being a
track
star. An anchor full of mud weighs about a hundred pounds. LOL! Just
kidding.

Wilbur Hubbard

Definitely get some gloves! 100 lbs? No prob.

Will do, they are cheap at the Dollar Store.

I spent all afternoon doing a good spring cleaning in the v-berth. My, but
what a disgusting mess in all the nooks and crannies. Mold and mildew and
dust and cat hair. I sure hope you and Jimbo aren't allergic to cats. I
had
to go over everything with bleach and water. Even the little nylon cargo
nets that hang along the ceiling (on a boat, ceiling means the walls on
the
inside of the hull) were dark with mildew. They are supposed to be white
but
they looked black when I removed all the miscellaneous junk and tossed
about
half of it into the garbage. I washed them in strong bleach, detergent and
water solution and they turned out nice and white again.

Tomorrow, I'm working my way aft cleaning and getting rid of a lot of
stuff
I haven't used in a year or so. I figure if I haven't used it in a year
it's
time for it to go. Otherwise the boat just gets too cluttered with junk.
I've bagged up all the unused crap and tossed it into the dinghy to take
it
ashore for the dumpster and the dinghy is down on its lines. Must be 100
pounds of crap - mostly old books. Now that I bought a Kindle I don't need
to carry a bunch of books. I also have a new digital portable TV you or
Jimbo can have if you want it. It's a little, seven inch flat screen HDTV.
bought it a few months ago but it turns out we're too far from Miami here
and there's no stations within range without some fancy tall TV antenna.
So,
it's useless for me.

Wilbur Hubbard

Neither of us are allergic. Buuuuut... thanks for doing a cleaning!!
Probably it was a good idea anyway!

Yes, it always surprises me how much dust can collect in a boat.

Thanks about the TV... not sure if either of us wants it, but we can
decide later right?

If neither of you has any use for it (I know you aren't much into TV which
is a good thing), I'll find somebody to give it to.

I should probably do something similar as far as cleaning goes. I'm
going to get my brother to visit when he gets in town, so I don't want
to gross him out. :-)

Don't worry, most men don't even notice things like that. Besides, he'll be
too busy hobbling around for a while longer to be bothered with it.

Well, I'm outta here.. the weather turned really beautiful including
warming up, so I'm going for a ride..

Good for you. Keeping those legs in shape will make you a better sailor. As
the boat sails over the "bounding main" the legs are always working to
maintain balance.

I haven't ridden this week since I did a fast 100 miles Sunday (about five
hours riding time). Since I have a time trials this Sunday, I'm letting my
leg muscles get saturated with all the good nutrients. Being a track person,
I bet you've heard of glycogen super compensation?

Wilbur Hubbard