Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Capsize

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:09:52 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

On Mar 29, 3:37Â*pm, Harryk wrote:

They're as ****-poor a motorboat as they are a sailboat.

I think the Mac26 makes sense for many people and I will argue that it
is safer than most sailboats. If weather, gets bad, it can reach
harbor before others. With its extreme shoal draft, it can get to
safety in places others cannot. So far, all the accidents we have
seen with Mac26s are due to operator error and not due to QC
problems. Even WITH the ballast, only a fool would put 10 people on
that boat.

Yep. It's safer than most sailboats. Even without the option to
power it in if weather does the unexpected, it doesn't sink.
Positive floatation.
Won't sink like a keel sailboat boat or most motorboats if holed or
capsized.
I think Neal stuffed empty Maalox jugs all over his Coronado to try
make it mimic a Mac26 in this regard.
Harry might do that with his powerboat to make it unsinkable.
The Mac26 is easily beached, as you said.
The fact that it's inexpensive, spartan and doesn't sail as well as a
keel boat bothers some people.
So they spout off all the time saying it isn't safe.
This lends itself to Mac26 owners being more cautious than typical
sailboat sailors.
So that too makes the Mac26 a safer boat.
But they commonly cross the Gulf Stream and ply the Bahamas.
Some pay no heed to the naysayers.
Lots of bang for the buck with that boat.
Trailerable, lightweight, yet plenty of space.
Very customizable too. Can make it sail much better than stock.
You know more than most here about shallow water sailing, getting
stuck on a bar when the tide seems to be disagreeable, etc.
So it's a wonder you don't have one of these Mac26's.
As I recall you have an S28(?) and a home built Tolman.
The Mac26 could get you down to one boat you could nest by the garage
when you're not out boating.
If I ever get to live in Florida it'll be a Mac26 if I decide to do
overnighters or a Carolina Skiff if I decide to just day fish.
Talking about the Gulf coast.
I'll leave the "bluewater" stuff to others.

--Vic