anchorlt

Default Coast Guard Inspections

pamsuks (JayCeeCG) wrote in message ...
in a former life I used to be a coastie. The way i was trained is that the cg
aux decal is not a way to avoid a boarding. what the decal does is let the
boarding officer know that the vessel had a SAFETY insepection, and that the
B/O doesn't have to waste time counting fire extinguishers , flares, and PFD's.

As far as why you were boarded? probably cause it is early in season, and the
coasties do have to show that they have been out doing thier job. One of the
reasons i got out of the CG was i really didn't like the law enforcement aspect
of the mission. and I suspect that since 9-11 that aspect has definitely been
emphasized.

IMOP

Jared Crane

Law enforcement in the U.S. has become very heavy-handed, almost
bullying in its style and substance. CG stops and "inspects" U.S.
citizens' owned boats, but cannot find Cuban rafters on inner tubes at
coastline in FL. What's wrong with this picture? And now, if the CG
boat officer "thinks" you are headed to or are returning from Cuba,
your boat can be siezed.