Jack Dale

Default bought a GPS

On 8 Apr 2004 09:46:02 -0700, (Parallax) wrote:

Finally bought a GPS to augment my DR and coastal piloting via compass
and chart. At first, I hated it (havent even had it on the boat yet)
because it has all these damned menus that make it worse than
programming a VCR. I was afraid it would ruin my geometric fun in
finding position. My wife was also ****ed that I bought a gadget.
THEN, I decided to bring it to work with me in my old truck. My truck
with 280,000 miles hasn't had a speedometer in the last 10 yrs since
the electronic one broke. I put the GPS in the windshield and
suddenly realized I had a speedometer. Now, she likes it as a
speedometer in the truck. It also finds altitude and I was never
aware of the relative amount of elevation in Tallahassee, even when
commutting by bicycle.
Now, to see how it does on the boat.

Do not believe the altimeter. When you get on the boat with the GPA
you will seldom find yourself at sea level. The errors can be ass
much as 100 feet or more.

Check out:

http://gpsinformation.net/main/altitude.htm

Jack