Jim Richardson

Default Manual marine head

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:14:43 GMT,
Peggie Hall wrote:
Tom wrote:
I bought a cricket head, based largely on advice from this ng. My
experience with it is mixed. It is slightly better then the
piston-pump W-C it replaced. I think after having owned it, I can
make some observations.

The REAL problem with the Cricket is actually an "operator error,"
common among owners of most toilets, but the Cricket is much less
forgiving: incomplete flushing...ceasing to pump as soon as the bowl
is empty. In most toilets, that only leaves waste and/or TP sitting
in the discharge hose where it rarely creates a clog unless someone
flushes something they shouldn't have. But because the Cricket's pump
is just a large diaphragm directly below the bowl, unless the use
continues to pump till all the waste is pushed out the discharge on
the side of the pump, waste and TP build up in it, blocking the
discharge, till it produces the backpressure and eruption you
describe. After numerous attempts to design a flapper valve strong
enough to resist the pressure needed to break up the clog and send it
downstream, Raritan--also knowing that few if any boat owners will
flush enough to keep waste from building up in it--finally gave up and
discontinued production of the Cricket this year.

So with that in mind, what head would you recommend for installing in a
"new" head. That is, we are going to be ripping out the existing
discharge over the side only head, (which is in desperate need of a
rebuild anyway) and we are going to put it a holding tank, and new head.
Suggestions for the head?

"We have to go forth and crush every world view that doesn't believe in
tolerance and free speech," - David Brin