Jeff Morris

Default How to pack/store spare parts

I think this would serve better
http://www.tilia.com/

I don't think the issue is the thickness of the plastic, but how well it lasts
over time. The Tilia bags are pretty tough and seem rather supple after several
years.

"Jim" wrote in message
news
Suggest you get one of these

http://www.viworld.com/foodsaver/

And some heavy sandwich / food storage zip lock bags. Shouldn't be
necessary if you vacuum seal, but a shot of oil in each bag before sealing
might make you feel better. After sealing run a piece of duct tape over the
seal to insure it stays closed

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:40:17 -0700, BCC wrote:

Looking for good method to pack long term spare parts on long term
cruise - like a spare alternator, starter, diesel injector pump,
expensive things.

What I'm thinking is a very heavy gauge individual bags - something
like almost 1/8" thick. Taped up with the clear packing tape that's
about 2" wide. You need to be able to see what's inside.

The Seal-a-Meal and other vaccum pack stuff is way too thin to last on
a cruising boat for 6+ years.

I've found very heavy bags on the net - but you need to buy 100 or a
1000 at a time.

Also - looking for something to put in the bag as an anti-rust,
corrosion, etc inhibitor.

Any suggestions?