Steve

Default How to pack/store spare parts

I oil all surfaces and for water pumps, I try to get some glycol inside to
keep the impellor from deteriorating.

In some instances I coat the exterior with grease. If I could get some
cosmolein (sp?) I would dip the in that.. I have just recently found that it
is available to gun buffs.

I then wrap them in industrial towels prior to putting them in ziplock bags.
I usually double bag, just in case..

Don't forget to put labels on the interior and outside. The exterior one
will most likely deteriorate.

For my OEM alternator (now my spare). I wraped it in a towel and then double
bagged it. (I left the harness on the engine, unaltered so I can just slip
it back in place)

I mounted my spare prop with a bolt to a stanction in the engine room, along
with the spare nut and key duct taped to it. I also keep a home made prop
puller with bolts on board with some old wrenches that fit the prop nut and
the puller nuts.

Spare belts should be tried out first and I usually leave the new belt on
and save the slightly used ones for the spares. Since you change belt every
other season or so, these can be stored without any special packaging. Same
with filters, if they are stored for more than a year or so, they tend to
rust, so rotate you spares.

If you have spare gaskets, the cardboard package won't stand up to rough
storeage conditions. I cut a piece of thin ply and tape the package to that.

Work out a storage and record system which will identify the item and the
storage locker that it's in. Try to avoid storing items too deep in lockers
that my become damp or contain water. Low is good but damp will eventually
get into the packaging.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve