Bob Whitaker

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

rhys wrote:

How about a Bruce Roberts design?

Hello rhys,

I've seen them advertised, but never sailed one. I always thought they
would be sturdy, but they wouldn't win too many speed awards... but
that's just my completely unfounded bias. Does anybody else have any
actual sailing experience with a Bruce Roberts design? Maybe this
question deserves a new thread.

Bob Whitaker
"Free Spirit"

rhys wrote in message . ..
On 11 Mar 2004 22:53:17 -0800, (Bob Whitaker)
wrote:

Hello,

Been thinking of moving up to the 30-34 foot range, ideally a sailboat
that would provide safety in open waters, extended cruising
situations. Would love to get a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, but "The
Admiral" won't let me, and the bank won't either... I would prefer a
project boat (I would actually enjoy it). Heard great things of Cal
34's. What other boats do folks recommend. Goal is extended coastal
cruising, crossing Gulf of Mexico (Corpus Christi, TX to FL), keys,
Bahamas, maybe extended Caribbean cruising.

Bit late in the day, but it just occured to me because I've been
window-shopping: How about a Bruce Roberts design? Many of them are
well-made "kit" boats that arrive assembled but bare, and the "project
boat" guys get in too deep and never finish them. Frequently, you can
get 35 or 37 footers for a song and do the interior yourself.

But you have to be pretty willing to do the work or learn to do the
work.

R.