Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] is offline

Default how necessary is a windlass

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:19:33 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

OIC... well, I guess a really small boat going fast or slow wouldn't
be as safe as a bigger boat in bad weather?

Depends on the seaworthiness of the boat. Any size boat can be seaworthy as
long as it is built stoutly and has a crew that knows how to handle her in a
blow. A ships life boat is a good example. The ship founders in a storm and
the crew takes to the life boats which are very small in comparison and
expects to survive the storm conditions in them. Sometimes small is better.

snip

I believe you. I just thought this was about sailing not using an
engine. What about on a slightly longer trip.. wouldn't you want to
use sail power as much as you can, so you don't run out?

One would think so, but . . .

Most of the people posting here NEVER sailed a boat that didn't have an
engine. An engine on a sailboat is supposed to be an auxiliary which means a
secondary means of power. Sadly, most of the Rubes here run their diesels
even when the sails are up. And should the wind die and they can't do hull
speed, they 'supplement' the sails with the diesel. It's shameful! Why don't
people like that just admit to themselves that they are not interested in
sailing and just sell the poor sailboat to somebody who would appreciate it
for what it was designed to do and buy a motorboat such as a trawler?

Wilbur Hubbard

Engineless boats? And who was it searching for the cheapest outboard
he could find, and has posted pictures of his yellow anchor buoy with
the outboard attached?

Why, it was Willie-boy, the armchair sailor who must have been reading
The Pardys this week.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)