Default how necessary is a windlass

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:02:48 -0700, Jessica B
wrote:

snip

Ok... so if you have boat that'll go 10 mph and the reverse tide is
pulling you at 5 mph vs. you have a boat that'll only go 5 mph....

You are still looking at speeds in excess of what the "normal"
cruising boat is capable of sustaining for any cruise.

No Jessica is NOT. For example, my fast, blue water yacht, "Cut the Mustard"
made a passage from Mobile Bay to Egmont Key (Tampa Bay). The time from sea
buoy to sea buoy was 36 hours. The distance was 300 miles.

300 divided by 36 = 8.3 mph average! The LWL of my fine yacht is 22 feet.
Theoretical hull speed is only about seven knots. But, as you can see, the
theory doesn't always describe fact. So, Jessica is not talking speeds in
excess of normal. If my small yacht can average 8.3mph then imagine the
speeds a fast sailing yacht with a LWL of forty feet could average.

Now, Bruce, if you had ever sailed a real fast cruising boat and not that
big fat rotten old tub you live at the dock in you might have gotten around
the world in half the time it took you just to get to Thailand.

Wilbur Hubbard