Bob Bob is offline

Default how necessary is a windlass

On Mar 14, 6:51*pm, Bob wrote:
On Mar 6, 8:52*pm, Frogwatch wrote:

OK, I have not hauled my anchor in the last 6 months but then it was
not too hard (28' 8000lb boat). *Am I missing something? *Does hauling
the anchor (slowly) get that much harder as one gets older (I am 55).
Generally, I haul her in slowly allowing the boats momentum to do most
of the work until the rode is vertical. *That is when it requires a
bit of pull. *I also use 1/2" nylon rode with 30' of chain so I am not
hauling all chain.
Does it get that much harder with a larger boat?
In place of a windlass, why not mount an old manual winch on the bow
and use it to help haul it in?

There is an excelletn book by Earl R. Hinz I cant remember the title
that will tieach you everything needed to design your own ground
tackle. He also published a book titled, Heavy Weather Tactics Using
Sea Anchors & Drogues. THis is also the only book you shoudl read
regarding that topic.

Youre asking the wrong question. Its not how big a windless or How big
an anchor you need? The quesion you need to anser FIRST is
1) How much does your boat weigh: 29,000 lbs
2) How much wind (drag) + bottom type+ depth are you going to want to
anchor.

Those factors above will determ
rode type
rode lenght
anchor type/size
windless needed to pick up your location specific designed ground
tackle. If its too much to pull up by hand Id say size the windless to
your needs.

Just to run off my mouth Id say 1/2 nylon + 30 feet chain is EXTREALY
undersized for a 29K boat... that is unless youre at the dock and will
never opreate in an area where winds over 20K exist.

Read Hinz anchoring book and let me know what you decide.
Bob

Upsss Its a 28 FOOT boat that weighs 8 thousand pounds...... !
In that case putit back on yuor trailor and go home....