Steve

Default NiMH batteries in a portable VHF?

Which brings me to another question..

As I have stated, I have had a very good experience with the NiMH AA
batteries and a 'smart charger' from Maha..

I have just been looking at replacement battery packs for my two Skil
Proffesional cordless drill. These drills came with two each 12 volt Ni-Cad
battery packs and one each Ni-Cad charger.

After 10 years of heavy and faithful service in building my 38 ft boat, it's
time to replace the batteries..

The replacement batteries for these drills are now only available in NiMH
and cost $82 each. (2.5 ah)..

What will happen if I use these new batteries in the Skill OEM 'dumb' Ni-Cad
charger??

The battery vendor doesn't mention or recommend any battery chargers for
these batteries.

I wish someone would reveal the smart circuit so I could modify my existing
chargers. Were it not for the microprocessor involved, a clever (not me) guy
could reverse engineer it from one of the AA chargers.

Just thinking out loud.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions