Tony Thomas

Default EFI v.s. NON-EFI OUTBOARD ENGINES

There are several big differences between carb and EFI engines (not talking
about direct fuel injection which I would not go with). The carb engine
requires you to choke, use cold start throttle, and some experience with
that engine to crank when cold. The EFI is just like your car. Turn the
key and it cranks.
The EFI will get about double the fuel economy of the carb engine assuming
your not running it above 4000 rpms all day long.

Now, if you have found a boat and engine that you really like, is in good
shape, and is priced right; then I would buy it. Otherwise I would prefer
the EFI engine in either a 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

Now some will say that the EFI is more complex and more expensive to
maintain. This could be true if you let old gas gum up the injectors, have
loose electrical connections that short out components, or don't maintain
the engine w/ good fuel, oil, plugs, etc...
However given good maintenance, you should not have any problems. Look at
cars that now run for over 100,000 miles without anything done to the
engine.
I rarely every have an engine problem with my boats because I maintain them
properly.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"djb" wrote in message
.. .
Hello all......I need help, the boat I am going to buy has a 1997 Evinrude
115 h.p., non EFI outboard engine on it.
The boat and engine are lovely and I wanna buy and keep this boat for

many
years.
Should I wait t'till I can afford a boat w/ a EFI engine or buy the thing
and pay the little more for the gas that I am going to consume since it's
old-tech engine.
I need help, what are the big difference between EFI and NON-EFI
engines?????
Please help!!
DB