Ken Heaton

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

Comments below:
"Ante Topic Mimara" ] wrote in message
Cindy Ballreich writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I do not like to give this up, as it has been a life long
dream for me to have a small boat like this, but I do not
see how I can do with it what I wish to do.

There are smaller boats that would probably meet your needs.

I have looked at several web sites that sell boats, and I have
not seen anything much under 27 or 28 feet that looks like what
I was wanting. Almost all of these boats that are smaller than
this, are all open, and do not have anything inside to sleep
on, or eat, or have heads, or anything. If I could find something
like this, I would be happy, but I have not.

I have friends who used to own a 22 or 23' power boat with what was
called a Cuddy Cabin. I believe they are quite common. This cabin was down
below, forward of the cockpit, taking up perhaps the full forward half of
the boat. It had a Vee shaped birth that slept two comfortably, a sink, and
a dedicated space for a Port-a-potty (toilet). You could not stand in this
cabin but there was sufficient headroom for those sitting on the beds or
toilet. It had a door that closed it off from the cockpit for privacy and
an over head opening hatch plus windows (ports) on either side. Their
cockpit was open but they had a full canopy/dodger with side curtains that
ran from the windshield to the stern with standing headroom inside. On nice
evenings they would sleep in the cockpit on the main seats which folded down
into beds. They did their cooking in the main cockpit on a bar-b-que. This
all fit on a single axle trailer and they pulled with a Ford F150 (commonly
called a 1/2 ton) pickup truck They kept the boat on its trailer in their
driveway during the week and towed it where ever they wanted to go on
evenings or weekends. The boat had an inboard/outboard drive arrangement
with a V-6 engine.
Would something like this be enough to get you started into boating? It
doesn't meet all you expressed needs but is a good start perhaps. You could
move up to a bigger boat as your experience and preferences develop.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada