Jim Conlin

Default Black plastic thimbles

For the smaller sizes, i've seen cast thimbles which were solid and bored 3/8"
or so for a shackle pin. I think I got 'em from sailmakers.

See also http://www.multihullboatbuilder.com/...icshrouds.html

Garland Gray II wrote:

Good point.
I may end up w/ss for this. I want to replace my lifelines with Amsteel.
"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I recollect learning that only cast thimbles or heavy galvanized thimbles

were
generally stiff enough not to deform when loaded to a nylon or dacron

rope's
full safe working load. Stainless ones were second place and plastic a

distant
third. Ask a competent rigger before using a plastic thimble in a line

that's
to carrry any significant load.

Ron Magen wrote:

Garland,
I've seen them quite consistently at West Marine {all over}. I would try
them, first. Other places to 'look' are Jamestown Distributors {Rhode
Island}, Hamilton Marine {Searsport, Maine - for REAL, 'Workin' Stuff'},

and
Defender Industries {Conn}.

My only caveat is, I'm not sure about the 'larger' sizes - 1/2 in line

and
up. I know I used white ones for my 3/8in and 1/2in mooring pennants -

got
them at the Philly West Marine store.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Ha, I was a little slow to get that one!
I always used ss until I saw what it does to galvanized chain.
I had never seen a black plastic one until a few hours ago! A friend

had
bought an anchor line on ebay, and I noticed it in his truck. Only id

was
Taiwan, but was a nice thimble w/ straps.

"Keith" wrote in message
Doing a lot of sewing?

Why not SS? I don't think I've ever seen a black plastic one, but it
would
be a good idea. Would be cheaper for the mfg's as well.

--

Keith
__
"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Are these available? It's easy to find white or translucent

thimbles,
but
uv
eats them up so badly.