Sal's Dad

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

OK, I'll bite...

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:
I do not like to give this up, as it has been a life long dream

I was looking for a motor cruiser, but since I cannot
use it the way I wish to, I will have to give up, because everyone
here (except for a few nice people, thank you) seems to want to
keep everyone new like me out of their precious little hobby.

Boating, cruising, whatever, can be complex, dangerous, difficult,
expensive.... Or it can be simple, safe, easy and cheap. Your questions
are reasonable, but indicate to me that your experience in boats is minimal.

If you buy a boat that meets ALL of your criteria, you are very likely to
have a negative experience. You will spend tens of thousands of dollars
(yes, I know the "price" is far less...) you will experience difficulty and
frustration, both on land and on the water, and you will be at some physical
risk, as you learn.

May I suggest you buy (or borrow/rent) a small skiff or outboard for your
first season; if you want to travel, a hotel will be cheap compared to a
boat with even minimal accommodations (and you'll have a hot shower!).
With minimal outlay of cash, you can learn the basics of this "precious
little hobby". If you like messing around on the water, next year get a
different, larger, or 'better' boat. And the money spent will not go to
waste; with a used boat and motor, further depreciation will be negligible
(or you can hold onto the skiff forever - if you end up with a 28 footer,
you will DEFINITELY need a little boat, too.)

Personally, I prefer little boats, and rather than put a couple hundred
grand into a decent "Motor Cruiser", bought a nice home on the water - with
a dock for my outboards, sailboats, kayaks, and other toys.

Good luck!
Sal's Dad (referring, of course, to McCloskey's "One Morning in Maine" and
other books