L G[_28_] L G[_28_] is offline

Default Teflon tape and gasoline

wrote:
On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 20:18:45 -0500, L wrote:

Gene wrote:

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:25:54 -0500, wrote:

On 3/2/2011 5:41 PM, Gene wrote:

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 19:59:01 -0500, L wrote:

Google results show differing opinions. Has anyone used Teflon tape
without success on a fuel line thread?

TIA,
Larry

FIRST and FOREMOST.... teflon ONLY works on TAPERED threads. If it
isn't a tapered thread.... forget the teflon (or any other sealant..
fix what is wrong).

There are different formulations of "teflon" for different
applications. For fuel, a "non-white" tape is probably called for.
Don't use the wrong kind. Not all tapes are created equal.

Don't put ANY tape on the first 1-2 threads.

There are semi-liquid thread sealants that are better than the tape.
Globs of pipe dope don't seal better; don't put pipe dope on the first
1-2 threads.

I might be wrong but aren't you supposed to use double flared on metal
fittings? I don't think compression or pipe thread is allowed.

You will see a lot of tapered pipe threads, AN flares, and SAE
flares.... maybe even a bubble flare!

No compression fittings, but if high pressure (fuel injection), maybe
a double flare...

It is an EFI motor. The fittings are on the fuel/water separator.

Funny thing, I was just in one of those a couple weeks ago (bad pump).
Mercury uses some kind of red dope on the fittings.
There is still one more filter before you get to the injectors on a
Merc. It is after all of the threaded fittings. They use snap n locks
with O rings down stream of the fuel cooler.

That motor does have another filter under the cowling. I'm going to
change that next but this will be the first time. It's still fairly new.