BAR[_2_] BAR[_2_] is offline

Default For us FL boaters, TRAINS

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

The Amtrak trains to Florida pass through lots of "back yards."

GM was instrumental in "bribing" many cities into giving up their light
rail and trolley routes in favor of GM buses. That's what happened in my
hometown of New Haven. We had a pretty decent trolley system when I was
a small kid, but suddenly it began to be ripped up when the new buses
appeared. This was in the early to mid 1950's. The trollies were at
street level, in the middle of the wider roads. The buses showed up, no
doubt to help keep our industrial base going.

The trolley runs on tracks. As the city changes the cost of extending
trolley lines and building new trolley lines becomes cost prohibitive.
With a bus you can change the route by telling the drive to take a turn
here and take a turn there. No construction, no laying of track, no
overhead electrical needed. The buses are much more beneficial as a
business tool.

It's not just the demise of railroads I regret. This country literally
is falling apart...roads, bridges, water systems, dams, you name it.
We've spent our national treasure on military stupidity.

We are keeping our treasure buried under the ocean and beneath our land.
We have squandered most of our collected taxes on feel good programs
that have failed or are failing miserable.