posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
HarryisPaul HarryisPaul is offline

Default how shallow is unsafe for outdrive/outboard?

In article ,
says...

On 3/2/11 6:50 PM, dmo@omd. wrote:
hi,

i'm wondering where the water intake is for the cooling system on outdrives and
outboards. it seems that it should be far enough up that it wouldn't be in much
danger of sucking up sand, but someone recently warned me to be a lot more
careful about not starting an engine when the prop is resting on the sand. how
low is the intake?

Look for intake vents between what is usually called the cavitation
plate and the pointy bottom of the skeg. The intakes typically are right
in that area. I would be wary of starting an engine while the proper is
"resting on the sand."

What's a "proper" idiot?