Scott Vernon

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

You were asked what state re; permits and such because of the 10'+ beam.

"Ante Topic Mimara" ] wrote in message
Rich Hampel writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

As much as possible. I have several concerns, all of which
are not relevant to the questions being asked. If I lived
in North Carolina, the vessel would weigh the same as if I
lived in North Dakota.

No it wouldnt !!!!

For all practical purposes, yes it would.

The MASS would be the same but not necessarily the weight.

For all practical purposes, yes it would.

Wgt .= mass X gravitational acceleration.

Thank you for the math lesson.

You tell me off the top of your head what the exact
"gravitational acceleration" at Wrightsville Beach, North
Carolina is, and also that of Williston, North Dakota, and
figure up the equation you posed above to tell me the exact
difference between the two.

This is as significant as wheels on a platypus. The variation
of weight between any two given locations within 500 miles,
would not matter in the least to what kind of vehicle would
be required to tow this vessel, nor would it matter in the
least to the real-world weight of this vessel, as it is
measured in a realistic manner. There may be up to a fraction
of a pound of weight, but in the grand scheme of things, that
is statistically insignificant. Perhaps if I were towing this
vessel on the moon, it might matter, but I am not concerned
with theory, I am concerned with real world practice.

And in any case, it is now totally irrelevant, because I cannot
use this, or any other boat large enough for me to utilize in
the manner I wish to. I would have to cruise it over 200 miles
to get to the nearest coast, to be able to go anywhere with it,
other than up and down a short amount of the local river front.
I cannot take it to any of the local lakes, and this is something
I had wanted to do.

Weight is not a constant value and varies due to local (and
varying) gravity values. The 'local' acceleration to do gravity
anomalies for each location and altitude will be different and
you need to ascertain what the local gravity acceleration is.
Mass is constant but weight never is...... just like displacement
values vary with the density of the water.

You are choking on a flea, and swallowing a camel.

I do not know about you, but I cannot look at any item this large,
and determine it's weight at a glance, down to the fraction of an
ounce.

For all practical purposes, and in the real world, not that of
theoretical mathematics, the boat might weigh 7000 pounds in
North Dakota, and 7000.00002 pounds in North Carolina. Of course
this is just as much of a stretch of the theory of gravity as
your comment that it would not weight the same, and just as
helpful.

Thought I'd add to this never ending 'moebius loop' thread.

Perhaps your efforts would have been better exerted, had you
just addressed the questions I wished to have answered, than
in dwelling over miniscule details that matter not a whit to
the issues at hand.

I thank you for your reply, but it served no practical purpose.
Except possibly to discourage me from wanting to participate.

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.