Doug Dotson

Default Good sewing machine for canvas work, examples? Results?

We picked up an old Necci at a yard sale for $35. Tough machine!
Absolutely no plastic parts and very tight. Retrofitted it with a Sailrite
Monster Wheel and used it to build a couple of sails. Got the LSZ-1
later so retired the Necci.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Steve" wrote in message

"Dick" wrote in message

I have a PFAFF 130. It works well but not for everyone. It was made in

the
mid
1940s. You can still get parts except for the tensioner. In the past, I

have
seen them for as much as $650, but you can get them for a lot less. I

have
not
had any trouble with mine in the seven years that I have had it. It can

sew 6
to 8 layers of sumbrella with a 110 needle. It can also use the heavy

thread
that some machines have trouble with.

I agree, the Pfaff 130 is a cruisers favorite. In addition to the reason

you
state, this machine is still common in small tailor shops in the 3rd

world.

I had a 130 before my Sailrite. I did both sail repair and canvas work

with
it.. I paid $350 for it in a showing machine repair shop and sold it,

after
8 yrs, for $400 and spent about $30 for a tuneup and inspection before I
sold it.

The nice thing about the Pfaff or the Sailrite machines, is the ease of
adjustment and repair in the field (on the boat). In fact Sailrite doesn't
want you to send your machine in for repair and adjustment. Their manual

is
a 'field service manual' and encourages the owner to learn how make
adjustments and repair. When I needed feed dog replacement, they sent it

me and I had it replace in 20 mins. While I was doing this I discovered

the
cause for the broken part.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW