*e#c *e#c is offline

Default Harrys engine service advice.

On Mar 1, 10:14*am, Harryk wrote:
On 3/1/11 10:06 AM, I_am_Tosk wrote:

In ,
says...

In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

Sorry, my boat burns diesel. I don't have any problems paying for it.
And I'm not dumb enough to mess with the engines. I keep the engines and
the engine "room" clean, I look for leaks, I check fluid levels, et
cetera. Just about anything beyond that, I call the diesel service company.

Wow this from the person that claimed he took "several mechanical
engineering courses".

Harry has a great strategy for engine service, let someone else do it. I
guess that's ok if you only run your engine three hours a year, but we
do that in a morning here. We have to break them down pretty ofter, and
uh, just like a garage, sometimes we make mistakes...

Indeed, I only let skilled professionals perform serious service on my
boat, car, lawn tractor, et cetera, engines.

After all, why would I want this sort of experience:

"I was chasing a thread on the intake and in a hurry. After I ran a bolt
through I somehow dropped it into the intake and I just don't know. I
did have a chaser, and a small wrench in the hand as I turned away, and
just never noticed the small "test" bolt was not there... I still can't
believe it..."
* * * * * * * * * * Scott Ingerfoll, motorcycle mechanic.

You know, I did kinda the same thing several years ago when I was Drag
Racing. While replacing the Timing Gear Set, and Chain on my 318
Chrysler, I dropped one of the mounting bolts down the front end of
the exposed Oil Pan. The good thing was that the pan was shallow at
the front.The viscous oil slowed the bolt, and it stopped before going
too far. I retrieved it with a Mechanics Magnet. The engine was still
in the car. If the bolt had traveled farther, it would have dropped
into the deep end of the pan. That would have been a lot tougher to
retrieve. Not impossible enough to have to pull the engine, though.