Charles T. Low

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

This won't answer all of your questions.

A cradle is what a boat sits in or on on land. Some trailers are just really
flat beds with a cradle on them. Other trailers are more custom-built for a
particular boat or type of boat. A boat can be floated off some trailers at
ramps, or lifted with a crane onto or off a trailer. My yacht club has a
crane, for example, and you can drive your trailer underneath it and plop in
the water. (For launch and haulout, when a bigger reach is needed, we hire a
bi-i-ig crane.)

Some boats don't sit in a cradle, but on "stands." Depends on the boat and
other variables.

It occurs to me that one very simple answer to your dilemma would be to
visit a commercial marina and see what they suggest. This is what they do
for a living!

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Ante Topic Mimara" ] wrote in message

Yes, I can see that adding a trailer will add some weight. I
was just hoping to get some idea of how much, in addition to
determining the weight of the boat as well.

I do not know if a trailer is available, so I assume not. I
believe I will have to have one made, if I can find out what
the weight of the vessel is.

[If you have a cradle, it can be secured to a flat bed, BTW.]

What is a "cradle" as it applies to boat trailers? I have never
seen any other kind of boat trailer that the boat does anything
but sit on top of the trailer. Is this something I must add, for
safety or travel?

All of the boats I have seen people back into the lakes and river
around here, just back up, and the boat floats off the trailer.

Is there another way of doing it that I do not know about?
I deeply appreciate your writing all you did, but it does not mean
anything to me. I do not know about many of these things to which
you refer.

I just want to find out if it is feasible to be able to move this
boat between the river and the lakes around here, or take it to
the coast on a trailer (150 miles) so that I can go up and down
the coast, without following the river to the coast (220 miles)
on a trailer.

Thanks for all the other information though!