Jere Lull

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

In article LKDGRCFC38078.9701851852@anonymous,
Ante Topic Mimara ] wrote:

Jere Lull writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I am having trouble attempting to determine the weight of
a boat, with limited information about it. snip
Displacement: 6,075 lbs
Draft: 2'-2"

Is it possible to determine how much this vessel weighs from
this sort of information?

As it happens, we're about 1000# heavier and about the same size,
though taller. A couple of Xan's sisters are hauled on trailers,
but not often. Pretty much one round trip a year.

What kind of motor boat do you have?

She's a sailboat (see her page below). Her displacement -- and weight --
is nearly 1000# higher than what you have listed. As I said before, she
can be towed, but it requires a big truck.

Add a trailer and gear you're in the 7-8000# range, possibly
higher.

Yes, I can see that adding a trailer will add some weight. I
was just hoping to get some idea of how much, in addition to
determining the weight of the boat as well.

If the 6075# you quoted is correct, I'd say you'd be safe if you chose
8000# for a working number. Planning for 10,000 would possibly be safer,
but I am pretty sure everything would add up to less than that.

What is a "cradle" as it applies to boat trailers?

It's a custom frame to hold the boat safely while it's on land.
Sometimes a boat will have one, but if you haven't heard the term,
you'll probably have to get/buy/build a trailer.

As I recall, I was told a 150 with a tow package can handle
it in a pinch, but a 250 is better.

I'm totally lost here. To what kind of vehicles do you refer?

Sorry. They're the largest pickup trucks, built for heavy use. Take a
look at trucks rated to tow -- and stop -- 8-10,000 pounds.

All of the boats I have seen people back into the lakes and river
around here, just back up, and the boat floats off the trailer.
Is there another way of doing it that I do not know about?

There are other ways, but if the boat actually draws only 2'2", you
probably will be able to float off as they do, so there's no need to get
into that.

I just want to find out if it is feasible to be able to move this
boat between the river and the lakes around here, or take it to
the coast on a trailer (150 miles) so that I can go up and down
the coast, without following the river to the coast (220 miles)
on a trailer.

Ahhh! Intended use comes out!

It's feasible, most likely, but those are fairly long distances. I towed
for a decade and enjoyed playing on waters within a couple of hundred
miles, but it does get old and we didn't use the boat as much as we did
after we settled in a good cruising ground and moored.

Rough rule of thumb I've observed of actual boaters. About an hour away
is reasonable for a day trip; about 2 hours for a weekend. Yes, you can
travel longer, but people just don't do it very often.

--
Jere Lull