Jeff Morris

Default Anchor chain

In light to moderate (10 kts) wind I found I can run the windlass for a few
seconds to straighten the chain (that is, it will assume the mythical catenary
shape to the anchor), then the boat will glide forward as the chain assumes its
preferred orientation: roughly "L" shaped with a vertical off the bow and the
rest on the bottom. I repeat a few times, the bow is over the anchor with
minimal stress on the windlass. I agree that using the windlass for maneuvering
in anything more than that is asking for trouble - I've usually used the engine
when setting two anchors.

My real issue with this is that adding 100 feet of chain solely for the purpose
of extending the rode to set a Bahamian Moor seems a bit odd. Why not splice in
some 9/16 nylon? - even without a rope/chain gypsy, its fairly easy to haul in
the rope by hand. Of course, this is a whole other discussion, and I appreciate
that some sleep more soundly with a lot of chain, etc.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Pulling the boat using the windlass is a risky business except in the
calmest conditions. I know of 2 boats that have destroyed a windlass
doing this.

FWIW
Doug
s/v Callista

"Kangaroo" wrote in message
I currently have 100 feet of 5/16 anchor chain and a Lofrans windlass. I
am/was planning on adding an additional 100 feet of chain. I purchased a
connecting link that looks like a regular link cut in half. When joined
there are 4 pins that get peened over. The reason for adding the

additional
chain is for setting a second anchor. I would back down on the chain drop
the second anchor and use the windlass to pull the boat forward. If ever
the situation arose that I had to ride on more that the first 100 feet, I
was planning on shackling on a small piece of chain where the connecting
link would be located. So my questions a Has anyone used one of these
links ( they are rated at 1900 lbs ) ? Will it go through my windlass?

Are
there any problems associated with the connecting links?
Thanks and good winds..... Rich