Steve

Default Keeping opened 5200 usable?

"BCC" wrote in message
I need to open a big tube of 5200 for a small job because I need
mahogany color - and won't use it again for a while - how can I extend
the life - maybe put in the freezer?

Same situation here. I have been purchasing the large tubes for year, mostly
for the cost savings.

However, I manage to keep a tube of white and a tube of mahogany open and
useable for months.. Once I punch the seal I reseal it with a spare, uncut
nozzle, wrap it in a plastic bag to keep air/moisture out to the plunger
area and put it in the frig..

Sometime the 5200 will set up, even on unopened tube, in the plunger area.
If that happens, I will soak the alum tube in a pot of boiling hot water..
It the contents aren't totally hard, this will soften allow the plunger to
release and you can salvage the remainder..

I've even cut open the tube it I want to salvage some soft 5200 and the tip
area is cured hard.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions