otnmbrd

Default Which way does a boat turn?

Lower that paddle wheel into the water, until it is just beneath the
water .... bet it will still pull to the right, because the blades on
the upward part of the rotation will be lifting the water and basically
throwing the "push" away (into the air) i.e., they'll be pushing, but
not at the efficiency of the blades on the downward turn.

otn

Scott Vernon wrote:
A paddle wheel has it's top portion out of the water, a prop doesn't.

"engsol" wrote in message

Being old and senile, I have to work things out with a mind
picture.

Re prop-walk...if I have a prop with flat blades aligned fore
and aft, I essentially have a "paddle wheel". If I turn the prop
clock-wise (as viewed from the rear of the boat), I'd
expect the stern to go to the right. Reversing the direction
would obviously make the stern go to the left.

If I re-pitch the prop so the flat blades are at right angles to the keel,
(cross-ways), I'd expect a bit of froth, but not much in the way of
stern reaction.

When I consider a *real* prop, the blades are aligned between
the two extremes above, and I'd expect the stern reaction to
also be between the two extremes.

Norm B