Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default Cannibal

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:56:14 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Try my boat...
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26

IMPRESSIVE AND A WELCOME SIGHT . . .

That is indeed, a well-kept little yacht. Pride of ownership in apparent. I
particularly like the way you mounted the instruments so they swing out to
be viewed from the cockpit. The name and graphics are very fetching. The
exterior brightwork is outstanding. The cleanliness is superb. The
organization is well above average. Cabin-top traveler is practical and
functional.

Thank you, Wilbur.
I take that kindly.

The wood had been let go for way too long.
Cetol - Natural Teak on the exterior wood.
Beautiful stuff, huh?
And I'm trying out some automotive UV protection spray to help it last longer.

The name graphics I did myself.
Took about a week to draw it up the way I wanted and had the local vinyl
cutter make a set.

Things _I_ m not happy with (yet)...

The stock single-line reefing system is almost unworkable.
I need to get some pulleys where the fairleads are on the mast and try again.

As it is now, I have the reefing line run through the clew end only and use the
cunningham (8:1) to haul down the tack. It works well, but means going to the
mast to set the cunningham. Work in progress...

Things I don't like a

1) excessive beam for the LWL (must have a very choppy ride and a bit slow
to weather)

I like a beamy boat!
But my tastes in hull-form and maiden-form are not necessarily the same!

A bit of heave in a BIG chop, true, but a nice easy motion.
Not sharp at all.

And not slow to weather either.

In fact, with the new main sail, she points higher than I expected.
By GPS she can make 2.5 knots at 30 degrees off!
Add 8 degrees leeway on the ground track.
So she can pinch up if need be.

45 off, it's hull speed in 12 mph wind or better

Catalina calls her a "performance cruiser".

2) some of the more valuable space in the boat taken up with the head (I'd
gut it and make a library/chart table/storage out of it.

The new 250/270/280 etc all have this kind of head arrangement now.
The musty old V-berth arrangement is no longer used.
Heck, I couldn't fit in most of them anyway, so no loss here.

A porta-potti is
legal for that size boat and bathing can be done in the cockpit. Why
allocate some of the most valuable space in a boat to a place one only uses
once or twice a day?)

Girls...
Those soft, shapely, all-too-sensible of their privacy creatures?
I like having them aboard.
Keeps me young at heart!

I like your thoughts on this!!

Where do you sail? :-)

I'm sure that Capt. Wil is willing to make some accommodation for
women who he takes sailing. :-)