Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default Mandatory Life Jackets.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:35:18 -0800, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

In article s.com,
says...

This is my prediction: Within ten years states and then the federal
government will mandate the wearing of life jackets on all boats underway.

That would seem nonsensical in at least one way: If the boat isn't
underway, you wouldn't have to wear the jacket, but stepping from
your boat to your dinghy while at anchor might be when a PFD is
most needed. Ah, well, government regulations don't always make
sense. (Sometimes they do, though---like driving on the right
side of the road.)

The next question to ask, is when does a vessel transition from
"boat" to "ship". If there is no difference, I can see a
big opportunity in stylish flotation gear for the cruise ship
industry! ;-)

And, those of you who post that you wear them as a general practice when
aboard your boat and that you don't mind doing so only encourage more
infringement by government upon our personal freedoms.

It will be a cold day in hell when I wear a life jacket because it's
mandated by law.

The most effective way to get people to wear PFDs might be a simple
regulation that if you get rescued and aren't wearing one, you
pay all the costs of the rescue.

There are certain conditions when I will voluntarily wear one because I
value my own life but it is unacceptable to me to have Big Brother mandate
such wearing. **** them! Ain't none of their business.

Mark Borgerson

Hey, that seems reasonable to me! It gives you a choice. If you aren't
worried about it, then you do nothing. If you are worried, you wear
them.