Brian Whatcott

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

On 1 Apr 2004 14:14:19 -0000, Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I am having trouble attempting to determine the weight
of a boat, with limited information about it.

[snip]

Here is the information I have on this vessel:

Displacement: 6,075 lbs

When its design displacement is 6075 lb of water, it weighs 6075 lb.

Just because you don't understand why, doesn't mean the answer is
wrong.

If you don't want to weigh the boat, but you can find the actual
waterline - say a scum line? and can work out the SUBMERGED volume
[that means the volume of hull that is under the waterline,]
then multiply that volume by the weight per volume of the local water,
you have a reasonably accurate weight for the boat as configured,
i.e. an ACTUAL displacement.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK