Steven Shelikoff

Default push vs pull vis a vis rudders

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:01:41 GMT, (Steven Shelikoff)
wrote:

On 01 Apr 2004 03:15:26 GMT,
(JAXAshby) wrote:

yeah, sure. rudder right, tranny forward, throttle forward and what
happens
....???

Most times you go right. Sometimes you go left. If you've never gone
left when doing the above, you need some more experience.

sherr tells us the more experience he has the more he don't know which way
his
boat is gonna go thusly:

Joxie, say it ain't so! With all your claimed sea experience you've
never had the boat turn in a different direction than where you had the
rudder pointed? Oh, that's right. You're just a hired hand with no
helm experience. If you had any time at the helm in poor conditions
you'd know just how foolish you're looking right about now.

schlackoff, when the wind and/or current was pushing me one way or the other I
knew it long before I put the boat in forward or reverse.

Of course. Just like you *should* know about prop walk but apparently
don't if you don't know which way you boat will turn when you throw it
in reverse.

And in those conditions, just like prop walk in reverse, you won't know
which way an unfamiliar boat will turn when you put the rudder one way
or another. In all cases, that doesn't mean the rudder has no effect.
It only means it can't overcome other effects

Steve