Default Mandatory Life Jackets.

"Bob" wrote in message
On Feb 19, 7:35 pm, Mark Borgerson wrote:
In article s.com,
says...

This is my prediction: Within ten years states and then the federal
government will mandate the wearing of life jackets on all boats
underway.

::Here again Jessibur shows his lack of understaning of the most
::fundamental maritime concepts.
::There is a difference betwen UNDERWAY and MAKING WAY. Test question 1:
::what conditions suggests a vessel underway and not making way? What
::COLREGS cover a vessel UNDERWAY and not making way?

Who said anything about making way? I typed 'underway' for a reason.
Underway also includes underway but not making way. You are the one
displaying your lack of understanding, not me. For, example, a vessel
anchored or made fast to a dock is not underway.

That would seem nonsensical in at least one way: If the boat isn't
underway, you wouldn't have to wear the jacket, but stepping from
your boat to your dinghy while at anchor might be when a PFD is
most needed.

:: absotlty agred This comes under the heading of personell transfers.

Moron - personnel transfer rules don't apply to recreational vessels.

The next question to ask, is when does a vessel transition from
"boat" to "ship". If there is no difference, I can see a
big opportunity in stylish flotation gear for the cruise ship
industry! ;-)

::USCG does not make a distinction between boat or ship. However there
::are several conditions the uscg uses to regulate vessel operation:
::1) area of operation,,, Ocean Near Coast Inland
::2) size??? Gross Registerd Tons and/or Length.
::3) Type of servise as in Coast Wise (fishing-cargo-passanger) Oil and
::Mineral (OSV/DSV/etc)Then you have different sub catigories of those
::ie Chapter T Passenger Vessels.

And, those of you who post that you wear them as a general practice when
aboard your boat and that you don't mind doing so only encourage more
infringement by government upon our personal freedoms.

It will be a cold day in hell when I wear a life jacket because it's
mandated by law.

::Jessibur how do swallow the fact you ha(v)e to register your boat and GOD
::FORBID not shhit (sic) in the bay or dump your oil in the water either?
That
::mu(s)t be a TERRIBLE infrigment of your personal freedoms ! ! !

It is, indeed. Only a communist or a liberal would abide them happily.

:: You see... Republicans are nothing more than SPOILED CHILDREN.. Its
::all, WAAAA WAAAA me me me dont tell me what to do ITS MY BOAT wa wa
:: waaaa.

Republicans are but *******ized Democrats in that Republicans also sell
their souls. I am a conservative which means I believe wholeheartedly in the
Constitution and the rights it confers upon citizens. I say to hell with ALL
those who would water down or otherwise compromise our God-given rights.

The most effective way to get people to wear PFDs might be a simple
regulation that if you get rescued and aren't wearing one, you
pay all the costs of the rescue.

::THis is a very good idea....! I think... hum ill have to think more
:: about the imlications.

It is, indeed, a good idea. It puts wearing life jackets where it belongs -
in the realm of a personal choice. Allowing any government to legislate
personal choice is not a good idea and always results in infringement upon
personal rights and freedoms.

Wilbur Hubbard