Ante Topic Mimara

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

DUINK writes:

As far as I know displacement = weight.

Somehow, this doesn't sound right to me.

Certainly the weight of the boat will displace the amount of
water with that same weight (hence the term displacement).

If something displaces X pounds of water, it must weigh X - n to
be able to float. It must weigh less than the amount of water it
displaces, else it will have neutral (or worse, negative) buoyancy.

Having said this, how do I determine how much it weighs, from
limited information, without being there to weigh it?

That said, for documentation purposes the Coast Guard refers to
a tonnage (don't recall if they call it displacement) that relates
only to boat volume, not the weight.

This is very interesting. It also has nothing to do with what I
asked originally. I cannot see inquiring of the Coast Guard about
the tonnage or volume of a 28 foot motor boat. What can they tell
me about how much this vessel weighs, by me inquiring about the
volume of the boat?

I do not understand where you were going with this.

Do you have anything to add that will address the original question?

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.