Jere Lull

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

In article 2MRDDW2938077.852662037@anonymous,
Ante Topic Mimara ] wrote:

I am having trouble attempting to determine the weight of a
boat, with limited information about it. snip
Displacement: 6,075 lbs
Draft: 2'-2"

Is it possible to determine how much this vessel weighs from
this sort of information?

As it happens, we're about 1000# heavier and about the same size, though
taller. A couple of Xan's sisters are hauled on trailers, but not often.
Pretty much one round trip a year.

Expect your weight and displacement to be roughly equivalent. Add a
trailor and gear you're in the 7-8000# range, possibly higher. You're
talking a pretty good-sized tow vehicle and a fairly expensive trailer
unless you can adapt a used one. [If you have a cradle, it can be
secured to a flat bed, BTW.] As I recall, I was told a 150 with a tow
package can handle it in a pinch, but a 250 is better.

Splashing and retrieving the boat in can be a hassle, but you might be
able to float it off and on at a good ramp. Otherwise, you'll need a
hoist/lift. If you have a wooden mast, add the use of a crane.

All these things cost. When I ran the numbers, I found I could pay a
professional to haul it back and forth each season for years and years
before matching the initial outlay on the towing equipment. Was even
cheaper to let the marina haul and store.

--
Jere Lull