Default Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
a snip
According to google maps it's about 60 or 70 miles away?

Sounds about right.

Well, if the boat sinks, there's always the dinghy! You could rig it
with a sail for just in case!

If conditions were rough enough to sink the mother ship I sure wouldn't want
to be out there in an open dinghy. It probably wouldn't last two minutes.
snip

I had one of those units in my other car... "Turn left in 1.2
miles...." Maybe they should make one for a boat!

Pretty much, they do. But, I don't know of any that speak to you. The one(s)
I use you have to look at it and adjust the autopilot manually to follow the
track which you plot in advance. You can set an alarm that beeps if you get
too far off-course or if you arrive at a waypoint so you can re-adjust the
course the auto pilot is steering.

I wish the stupid U.S. government would allow citizens to take a sailboat
cruise to Cuba but they don't unless you jump though all kinds of
ridiculous
hoops. I've looked at the charts and there is some fine sailing to be had
along the north coast of Cuba. Looks like thousands of little barrier
islands with a bay or sound between them and the big island. Can you speak
any Spanish?

I know... it would solve a lot of stuff if they were exposed to free
enterprise! I guess the Cuban expats are really a strong lobby in DC.

It seems dumb to me. The so-called embargo has obviously failed as every
other country in the world trades with Cuba. All it does is punish American
citizens who'd like to travel to Cuba as tourists. If anything is going to
overthrow the dictatorship it's Cuban citizens who become more affluent
because they can get ahold of dollars.

Maybe you can claim to be a journalist? I think there's an exception
for that. I also heard that things are a bit less restrictive these
days, but it might just be for sending money. I don't really follow it
much... wrong coast.

Cuba, itself, is kind of a pain in the ass to cruise because you have to
clear into and out of each and every port of call. They need to change that
aspect before they can attract cruisers in any kind of significant numbers.
In the Bahamas, for example, you clear in at one port and get a cruising
permit good for six months and you can go anywhere in the country without
having to clear in and out of whatever port you might happen to visit.

I don't know about most people, but I often change my mind as to
destinations depending on the winds and, if I clear out of one port and
declare I am to arrive at another port at such and such a date and the wind
shifts and I can't get there so I have to go someplace else, then I get a
bunch of bureaucratic crap when I arrive there for not sticking to the plan
then who the hell needs that kind of hassle.

I took it in high school, but it's been a while.

I took French but I wish I would have taken Spanish.