Tom

Default Manual marine head

I bought a cricket head, based largely on advice from this ng. My
experience with it is mixed. It is slightly better then the
piston-pump W-C it replaced. I think after having owned it, I can
make some observations.

The first problem I had was that the first generation (which I bought)
came without a piece that they have now. This little ring keeps the
poo from blowing back in your face when too much pressure builds up
pumping a big load out. This went on for about two years and really
soured me on the cricket. I found out from this ng that raritan would
send me this blow back stopper part for free, and since then, I
haven't had poo blow back into my face. Good thing I check ng's once
in a while.

At about the same time it started to leak so when I got the part I
also ordered a rebuild kit. Turns out nothing was wrong with any of
the rubber bits - but the pump base itself had cracked. Which brings
me to the next problem I have with crickets - they are all plastic
construction. I'm sure this is what keeps the cost down compared to
say groccos or skippers or other diaphragm pump based toilets made of
bronze. Anyway, I fixed it with some west system, rebuilt it, and the
thing finally gave me about 3 years of pretty maintenance free
operation, no leaks, no poo blow back, rarely clogging. Those three
years of good live-aboard use make it worth the low price in my mind
and have softened the hard feelings I had about it during the years of
poo blow back and leaking.

Now I just recently moved ashore. My toilet sat dry for about a
month. Last week I went to go sail out to the islands here and the
head wouldn't flush. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and instead
of going sailing I spent the whole morning thurs. taking it apart, and
handling feces. While I took it apart a stainless bolt that rests in
a bronze thread molded into the plastic had siezed and while I torqued
on it the plastic broke. Well that was it. I went sailing with a
bucket and when I got back, I went to defender's website and ordered a
lavac.

I'm not saying the cricket's a bad head. You get what you pay for,
its pretty good for its price (with the blow back stopper that now
comes standard). I actually chose it because I have a small space and
it is very compact compared to other heads that aren't the piston
types. I won't even consider the piston types - what an absurd
design. If raritan came out with a bronze version or the grocco was
smaller I'd go with those. Meanwhile, I know the lavac will fit and
the rebuild kit for its pump can double as the rebuild kit for my
cockpit manual bilge pump.