Bruce in Alaska

Default Westerbeke genset - not developing sufficient voltage

In article ,
"Rod McInnis" wrote:

"C. Sadler" wrote in message
om...

After a while, the unit stopped wandering, and settled in to it's 1800
RPM. (I guess. sounds right, but no measurement)

The rectifier would probably be for creating a DC voltage that the ignition
and fuel pump circuits would need, I doubt that it would be involved with
the generation of the AC power.

What's the next thing you would look at? I'm thinking an electrical
problem now. How would one check things like the windings and the
diodes?

I would check the brushes.

Rod McInnis

Wrong answer. The Rectifier in the generator is used to produce the
DC Field Current on the sator of the genset. These diodes are built
into the sator on a Brushless, and on the frame in a Brushed. Bad
Rectifier, equals no field current = No output voltage. Usually
this type of system is selfregulating or nonregulating, and as a rule
is used on cheaper type gensets. The winding turns ratio, and field
current set the voltage, and the rpm set the frequency. A more expensive
and better system uses an AVR to sense the output voltage and adjusts
the Field Current, in a "Closed Loop Control System, with the cycles
again controlled by the rpm. If the rpm = 1800 or 3600 as the case
maybe, and the output voltage is still under 110Vac then I would suspect
that you have shorted turns in either the sator or Main windings.

Bruce in alaska The Generator King of Excursion Inlet.....
--
add a 2 before @