Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default Cannibal

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:41:46 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
trimmed a lot
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

At least he's not dumb enough to still think you're my sock puppet.

Yes, you don't necessarily know what's on the bottom when you go someplace
but you can refer to the charts of the area and they will tell you what's on
the bottom so you have a good idea beforehand what's the most suitable
anchor type to use for a given anchorage.

A real cruising sailor will ship multiple anchors so he is ready for any and
all conditions of wind, sea and bottom. I carry about seven anchors all told
but only have three ready to go at all times. The others are stowed low in
the bilges. The others are storm anchors and spare anchors to be used in
severe conditions.

Ok... so, in another comment you said keeping all the weight on the
bow isn't good, so you must put them elsewhere? I would think in the
middle of the boat but is there really a place like that.

Ready on the bow I have a Danforth Deepset, a CQR plow and a Herreschoff
fisherman (this is the only one that looks like a traditional anchor to a
lubber). Sized for the boat, the anchors aren't prohibitively heavy. All
told, I have about 80 pounds on the bow from anchors/chain/line. With that
I'm ready for just about any bottom type.

I would be that lubber! LOL I'll have to see what the others look
like...