Jim Richardson

Default Manual marine head

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:47:23 GMT,
Peggie Hall wrote:
Jere Lull wrote:
I am in a process of refitting my head/shower area on my sailboat. I
want to change head for something reliable,manual,not terribly
expensive.I'm thinking of Raritan's Cricket...

We got one a few years back and like it, but it is a bit different
than the Compact it replaced and the Pars we've used on other boats.

Yep...instead of the piston/cylinder pump sitting beside the bowl, the
Cricket has a diaphragm pump located directly below the bowl...no
moving parts.

If we had a lot of guests, I think I'd prefer the PH or Compact, but
for the two of us, the Cricket has definite advantages. Check the
cost of a rebuild kit.

It's not really a rebuild kit, it's a whole new pump except for the
housing. Unlike piston/cylinder pumps, the Cricket doesn't have any
seals, o-rings, gaskets etc--the parts in the usual "rebuild kit"...so
it doesn't require "rebuilding" in the usual sense. In fact, it
doesn't even need lubrication. A kit is needed only as often as any
other toilet would need a whole new pump assembly. So the price for it
should really be compared to the prices of a new pump assemblies for
other toilets, not rebuild kits.

What is your opinion of the cricket? we are looking at replacing the
head in Windwalker when we add a holding tank, and want something
sturdy, reliable, and not too expensive (I know, pick two of the
three...)

usually comes from bad judgement.