Jere Lull

Default Thrust vectoring

In article ,
(Gould 0738) wrote:

Something that I've noticed, though I'm not sure if it's universal or
even really true: When I punch it, the prop walk seems to be minor. When
I want maximum prop walk, idle speed is the way to go. It could be just
that the duration is so much shorter, or that the higher thrust
straightens things out.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

Could it be due to a short duration of a "punch" in reverse, or due to the
factor that sternway (and therefore rudder effectiveness) increased enough at
the higher RPM ? :-)

I've been tending toward that explanation except that a few seconds of
near-idle reverse can slide the transom over a foot without moving very
far; punching it for a few seconds (2000 rpm out of 3600), we don't seem
to pivot at all. When I shift to neutral, we don't have authoritative
steerage way yet.

Our prop (16x10x3 AutoProp) is pretty close to the rudder... Could we be
getting enough flow across it to counteract the walk?

What got me thinking about it and taking closer notes was watching a new
36 or 38' Catalina on charter try to back into a slip at idle last
September. Actually rotated more than it backed. The rudder never got a
chance. I'd never seen a sailboat do that badly, though I've seen a few
powerboats humble some mighty fine helmsmen.

--
Jere Lull