Rod McInnis

Default Westerbeke genset - not developing sufficient voltage

"C. Sadler" wrote in message
om...

After a while, the unit stopped wandering, and settled in to it's 1800
RPM. (I guess. sounds right, but no measurement)

Don't guess, measure it!

If the RPM is low, your voltage will be low as well.

Do NOT, however, attempt to make up for low voltage by cranking up the RPM.
The 60 cycles/second that you need is directly a function of 1800 RPM.

So, let's call that one problem, but here's the real one:

The output voltage, however is around only 100 volts AC, and may vary
between 95 and 105 volts, LOAD or NO LOAD. Something tells me that's

key.

As I mentioned above, if the RPM isn't right, all other measurements are
pointless.

I pulled the full wave bridge rectifier, and checked it with a meter
in the diode mode.

The rectifier would probably be for creating a DC voltage that the ignition
and fuel pump circuits would need, I doubt that it would be involved with
the generation of the AC power.

What's the next thing you would look at? I'm thinking an electrical
problem now. How would one check things like the windings and the
diodes?

I would check the brushes.

Rod McInnis