Default Cannibal

"Justin C" wrote in message
In article , Jessica B wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:51:21 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Jessica B wrote:

Ok, but wouldn't it be more convenient to just keep them out of harms
way in the dinghy if you can?

A dinghy can flip, and an inflatable, in a strong breeze can become a
kite, then you lose everything that's in it, thwart and all.

Twart? Isn't that across something?

It's the seat you sit on when you're rowing, or (probably) any other
seat athwart (across) the boat.

I've seen boats that have these elbow-shaped tubes on the back that
have like a cradle/pulley system for dinghies. I guess you have to tie
them off so they don't bang around, but at least you aren't towing
them.

Davits. Little cranes that lift the boat out of the water. Apparently
good for deterring dinghy theft. I don't like 'em, I think they ruin the
look of a nice boat. I'd be worried in heavy weather, with following,
breaking seas that a wave would take away the dinghy or take away the
dinghy and davits or take the dinghy and *one* davit and I've have the
whole kit and caboodle fixed to my boat by the other davit and surfing
down a wave *into* the back of my boat or wrap around my rudder, or,
most drastic, both davits and the dingy go and I get left with huge
holes in the back of my boat! Nope, don't like em!

Agreed. Davits on the stern, unless the boat is 40-feet or more is just too
much. They are heavy, unsightly and dangerous. Considering the size and
weight of most inflatables or rowing dinghies these days it's easy to have
two or three hundred pounds hanging right off the transom - the very worst
place for the weight.

Wilbur Hubbard