otnmbrd

Default Which way does a boat turn?

Give the dipsquat a break. He's still trying to "google" the
difference between inboard and outboard turning props on a twin screw
inboard ..... with no luck.

Subject: Which way does a boat turn?
From: (JAXAshby)
Date: 03/29/2004 15:02 Pacific Standard Time
Simple question.

Q: Which way does the stern of a boat t-boned to a dock turn when, with the
rudder turned to port and the tranny in forward, you give a 2 second burst of
the engine?

A: I think we all agree the stern will move starboard.

Q: same question but rudder turned to starboard?

A: the stern will move to port.

Q: same question but rudder centered?

A: the stern will move to port due to prop walk

Thats ok Jax .... we all understand you're a "newbie". Anyone with any
experience would have stated prop rotation, as it's important to the answers.
Just tell them you were using a left hand prop for the first set of questions
and a right hand for the second set of reverse questions.
BTW, you should also add that this exercise is without wind or current.
With wind or current, especially in the astern mode, depending on the boat,
things may not work according to Hoyle.

Shen

PS. It's up to a $1,000/hr .... I can see you'll need special handling, and I
'll have to waste 50 min out of every hour, just trying to keep you
concentrating.