-rick-

Default Boat Steering (tiller vs wheel)

"Garth Almgren" wrote...
Bill Kiene wrote:

For lots of smaller boats up to 14/16', I am a tiller fan myself, but

80HP?
wow.........

Hung out at my local launching ramp for a couple hours today and saw two
O/Bs with tillers that absolutely floored me: One was a 175 HP (!!) Merc
with a jet drive (not so bad torque wise, I imagine) and the other a
standard 115 HP Merc.
I chatted with the owner of the 115, and he confirmed that it'd rip your
arm out if you weren't careful.

Most of the guides around here run outboards with tillers. A typical setup
is a 18 - 24' sled with a 150 - 225 hp outboard/jet drive. I've heard they
like the room and direct response. Some wear earmuffs to save their
hearing.
-rick-