Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default Cannibal

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:27:15 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

He might be referring to some young woman who is attempting a
circumnavigation.

Can't recall her last name.

I think I'll pass on that. Maybe in a plane. :-)

Or a luxurious cruise ship where you had all the comforts of home and then
some . . .

I would do that, but I think most of the people who go on those things
are overweight and all they do is eat the entire time. At least there
are some limitations on planes about actually fitting into a seat! I
had a cross-country flight last year (LA to NY) and asked to move. The
guy was grossly fat and hanging into my seat.

Nope, I think world voyaging on a small sailboat is for masochists. Coastal
cruising, on the other hand, is really a nice challenge and physically
enjoyable. You'd love some of the deserted beaches in the Bahamas - miles of
sand with nary a soul to be seen. There was this one long stretch of beach I
really liked on the north end of Great Guana. I'd anchor on the bay side and
dinghy to shore. Then I'd walk across the island (about a quarter mile wide)
to the beach on the ocean side. Then I'd run barefoot around the north end
of the island and then on to the bayside where the beach petered out. Then I
would swim along the shore back to the boat. All told about a three mile
round trip. Sometimes I didn't see anyone the whole time. Nice!

Seems like all the interesting things happen close to the shoreline,
so why spend weeks in the middle of the ocean? Well, I guess for some
it's fun.

I guess I'd be a bit worried about leaving the boat and then coming
back and it wasn't there any more. I'm sure you're really good at
anchoring, but... Also, what if someone takes the boat? It might be a
long walk (or swim) home.