JimB

Default push vs pull vis a vis rudders

Wayne.B wrote in message
On 29 Mar 2004 03:27:38 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

It exerts a force against the rudder,

why is that? Please explain in detail, as the physicists

disagree with you.
If you are right, you stand to make a fortune on the Nobel

prize money alone.

If flow deflection takes place (rudder at angle to flow), a

force is
exerted. Old news to everyone, Nobel prize not likely.

Wayne,

I can imagine a description of flow over the rudder which would
meet Jax's flat (and rather unhelpful) statements, and also
square with the obvious deflection that must occur just before
entering the prop. Whether it's realistic or not is another
matter.

Perhaps water approaches the propeller via the deflected rudder
through an Ess bend. ie, water approaches a point about a third
of the way from the tip of the deflected rudder (lets call it the
stagnation point). From one side of this point, water idles off
at a steep angle to round the rudder tip, doing a hairpin bend to
run back to the prop. From the other side the water moves quickly
along the rudder surface to the prop.

Well, it's a thought. I'm off to play with bits of card and wire
to repeat Derek Rowells experiment, so perhaps I should add a few
burning fag ends to the picture?

JimB